[brcs-announce] Thanks for a GREAT! 2009 BRCS

Norman R. Fred nrfred at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 6 15:42:44 PDT 2009

Hi everyone,

What a great day.  Perfect weather and wonderful group of people to help out.

I want to say THANK YOU! to all the Leaders, Food Preparers, Workers and Trail and Sidewalk
people.  Everyone did a fantastic job.  The 4H students and 7th graders did a fine job.

Our new grabbers worked great!  Thanks, Steve Somers of NICHOL and Osbourne Marketing
for them.  They will be a terrific asset to the club for years to come.

People came from as far away as Port Huron to help out today.  Others came for Muskegon
and Grand Rapids.  So, the BRCS is gaining statewide interest.

I thought we didn't need to clean the river since it was so clean already but we actually found quite
a bit and I was able to take 35 cans of unopened beer to the TU groups who were having a seminar
at Ranch Rudolf.  They were quite happy about that.

Those cans needed to be taken out.  The S. Boardman crew took a bunch of trash out of the river
and so did the 7th graders who got 2 car seats out of the North(?) Branch amoung much other stuff.
So even if some think it needs to be done later in the year, doing it now does a lot of good.  It cetainly
isn't a waste of time or effort.

I got back all but one camera.  The one from Brad's group didn't get back to me.  Whoever has it
contact me to get it back.

There were 77 people at last count (probably a few more that I'll learn about later) and we made
1225.00 on the raffle for the Kingsley 4 H and the GTCD.  Not as much as last year, but not bad
in this economy.

There were a few problems but all in all it was a good day and no one got injured.  Actually, Josh cut his
finger but he forgave us since he won the KAYAK! and a 50.00 gift Certificate.  Congratulations!

Leaders, as in the past, I would like a short narrative report about who was there, what you did, how you did it,
what you found and how we can make it better next time.  Think of it not as homework but as a way to make
the BRCS better.

I could not have done this without all of you.

Thanks again,

Today we made a big difference in the cleanliness of the Boardman.  We left it a lot nicer than we found it
and that's my goal every year.

See you on the river,

Norm

PS.  And for those of you who are not TAPC members, look at the website www.traverseareapaddleclub.org and see how many events are scheduled already and it's only June 6th.  It's a great bargain if you want to paddle more often than just once or twice a year.