[brcs-announce] Update on the BRCS

Norman R. Fred nrfred at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 5 06:55:03 PST 2011

Hello everyone,

The BRCS is scheduled this year for June 11th.

The event will be pretty much as it was last year.

I have already begun to solicit donations and prizes for the raffle with a bit
of success.

The main BRCS with the raffle and picnic will be in June and the smaller
National Cherry Festival downtown cleanup will be on Friday, July 8th.

For the June event, we will try to recycle as much as we can.  During the NCF
event, we will recycle tires but the rest will get disposed of by the city waste
collection.

During the NCF event, I hope to have a small row boat with an electric motor and
divers in the pool behind the Governmental Center to take care of tires and
other heavy items they find in deep water.  A small group of paddlers will
assist them but most of the others will just paddle through the pool and go on
to the river below.  A few of us spent way too much time in that pool last year
thus holding up the rest of the group.

With the lowering of the lakes behind the dams, more shoreline will be exposed,
so we should get quite a haul this year.

I am trying for the GLC grant again this year with the help of the GTCD.  It
covers expenses for most of the project but there are some things it won't pay
for.  I am soliciting donations from a few businesses now.

The TAPC is a 501(C)(7) club and as such is tax exempt.  It cannot receive
excess funds from outside sources or it will lose that designation.

Since the TAPC can't accept monetary grants, all funds collected from donations,
grants and the raffle, will either go to the GTCD or the newly formed Boardman
River Clean Sweep (Fund).  That way none of the money goes through the TAPC club
and their 501(C)(7) status is not put in jeopardy.

I will seek 501(C)(3) staus for the BRCS so it will become a non-profit,
environmental, incorporated, organization and the TAPC will continue to assist
with the BRCS cleanups and other cleanups as it has from the beginning without
the headaches of the bookkeeping, tax form filings, and fund raising.

If excess funds become available from the BRCS fund, those will be used as seen
fit by the BRCS Board of directors for assisting with the Boardman River
Project, future BRCS events, and/or doing other Clean Sweep events on other
rivers in this area.

At their request, none of the funds will be used by the TAPC.

I hope you all can help out this year.  It was really fun and exciting last year
with our newly instituted recycling process thanks to American Waste.

Have a great winter.

I'll stay in touch.

Norm