[brcs-announce] BB Dam update

Norman R. Fred nrfred at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 11 17:46:13 PDT 2012

Tuesday (9/11/12)  First off I’m happy to announce that we saw the entire
family of Trumpeter Swans flying low over the pond and landing this
morning before our Construction Team meeting.   Prior to this we had
reports that the cygnets were exercising their wings but no one had
actually seen them in flight until today.   It was obvious by a couple
face plants that they still need to work on their landing technique.
As of yesterday Molon had dredged 53,810 cubic yards of material.   That number should surpass 55,000 by the end of the day today.  The Molon
crew opened the new section of channel below the East Overlook to water
today and hope to have water flowing through the remainder of the new
channel by noon tomorrow.    After this they will  commence with the
remaining 2.5 foot drawdown that can be obtained using the existing
gates in the lower part of the power house.  This will help dry up the
east delta area so Molon can begin to shaping the flood plain along the
banks of the new river channel while the crew working on the sheet pile
finishes up the temporary drawdown structure.   It’s anticipated the
temporary drawdown structure will take a couple weeks to complete.  At
that time Molon will proceed with the final drawdown of the pond.   The
young swans should be strong fliers by then.  I’ll be on vacation
starting tomorrow for a week so this is the last update you’ll receive
from me until I return.  In the meantime, check out the progress from
the East Overlook in person if you have a chance.  S.
 Steve Largent
Boardman River Program Coordinator
Grand Traverse Conservation District
231.941.0960 Ext - 16