[brcs-announce] Joint BRCS / GTCD project at the BBL

Boardman River Clean Sweep Announcements brcs-announce at brcleansweep.org
Thu Aug 20 17:49:59 PDT 2015

Tree Planting ProjectBrown Bridge Natural AreaSaturday - October 24, 20159:00am to 3:30Light Lunch and water provided

The upper stretches (circled above) of the “new” river at Brown Bridge need your help! This reach of river was dredged to re-locate the original channel lost under tons of sediment that accumulated over the 90 years Brown Bridge dam was in place. This sediment also covered the native seed bank far below. We are looking for volunteers to assist with planting native tree and shrub seedlings, as well as herbaceous grasses and wildflowers to help reestablish a healthy riparian corridor.  This opportunity is open to anyone capable of working by foot on soft and uneven terrain.

This note came today from the GTCD.
But even more importantly,  it reminded me that the BRCS is a big part of this project.
The TAPC and the BRCS has taken the Brown Bridge Landing Area on as a pet project; helping to gain public access and also getting a permanent toilet placed in 2014.

The BRCS has received a grant from the ACA and LL Bean to plant trees in this same area and we will be working with the GTCD to accomplish that.
If you have ever wanted to plant a tree in honor of a loved one or someone you admire, this is your opportunity to do it for FREE.  I will provide you with a tree and a place to plant it.
The way it will work is that you come out with us, help do the project and you can take a picture of the "honorarium" trees and get the GPS coordinates and then notify your family or friends what you have done in their honor or memory.

No name tags or signs are allowed in this public area but in time, you and your family can come to the GPS location and see the trees that were planted years earlier.

Sign up here for this project:
http://tapc.clubexpress.com/content.aspx?page_id=87&club_id=813410&item_id=454338

 Norm Fred
BRCS