[Sketching12] Help me fix Texas Instruments

Jeff Hoefs jeff.hoefs at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 15:20:35 PDT 2012

To contribute some recommendations that don't involve OSH...

As a company that makes powerful embedded processors that could potentially
offer affordable toolkits, TI could make the following improvements:

- Offer libraries for a GCC compiler rather than IAR workbench. While you
can port code written for IAR to a GCC equivalent, it takes time and that's
something I don't have a lot of.

- Understand that not all users are Linux experts. I found the BeagleBoard
nearly impossible to use for this reason. Perhaps I should have just
avoided BeagleBoard in the first place for this very reason.

As far as tools that I don't see readily available (and please feel free to
offer suggestions if you know of such tools) that TI could make:

- Super simple ability to play audio.
- Support of polyphonic audio playback.
- Ability to process audio data (DSP, etc) but expose simple high-level api
to accomplish this.
- Plug and play LCD with powerful graphics libraries (or better use
Processing or Javascript or something else familiar to create visual UIs)
- Some ability for computer vision with fairly easy to use API.
- Stupid simple network APIs

For now it's cheaper for me in terms of time and $$ to buy a mac mini to
accomplish these tasks. Would be nice to have something smaller and cheaper
that runs on batteries at some point. I thought BeagleBoard / BeagleBone
would be the answer, but they are far from it. Way to complex for what I'm
looking for and I don't have the time or knowledge to create a "yet another
toolkit" solution in this area :)

-jeff