[Sketching12] scanning food and future teenagers

Wendy Ju wendyju at stanford.edu
Wed Jul 25 13:34:46 PDT 2012

It's hard not to read this article as a "Kids these days!" piece. I have
encountered technically clueless people of all ages.  This is not new. My
father used to tell all the jokes that other people refer to as "Polish
jokes" but in our household, they were "Software Engineer jokes."

I will say, though, for people who want to be reassured, that it doesn't
take a long time to remedy a whole lifetime of not tinkering with things.
As a specific example, when they do engineering education studies with
women who enter college without a lot of "making" experience, they find
that they indeed lack the mechanical intuition of their male counterparts;
however, within half an hour of a tinkering activity, there is no notably
measurable difference in performance or intuition. Which is to say, if you
just take the time to point out to someone where they need to hold the
hammer, or which way they need to turn the screwdriver, and WHY, then
they'll know, and they're unlikely to forget. Of course part of you wonders
how people got this far in life without knowing these things, but I do
think it's blowing things out of proportion to think this is holding
humanity back.

We all have our own blindspots... I, for example, am in my 30's and am
still really unable to ask other people for money, which seems like a far
more important skill than hammering...

Wendy