[Sketching12] scanning food and future teenagers

ctp at ctpdesign.com ctp at ctpdesign.com
Wed Jul 25 23:09:01 PDT 2012

I know what you are saying Jan, and I don't want to look that gift horse
in the mouth...I love that it is now happening. And I am in the thick of
it, teaching, making, writing, guiding!

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but when I took MATEC100 (intro to machine
technology) the first thing we were given was a blank piece of cutter
stock. We were expected to make our own Acme thread cutting bit, according
to spec. And then we had to take our cutting bit and cut 6 inches of Acme
thread on a piece of 1" steel round bar on a lathe. And it had to pass
muster under a microscope - with the correct lead, pitch,
depth...everything. I learned so much from that exercise, things that
continued to help me as I created more and more complex machines and
mechanisms. I never made another Acme threaded rod again (I just buy it
from McMaster, of course!) but ending up with a length of triple-lead Acme
was never actually the point of the exercise. Perhaps our current
exercises are too finished product/end result based? Maybe we need more
chances to learn the hard way how to break something. I usually learn way
more from breaking stuff than getting it right the first time anyway.

Like I said, maybe I'm old fashioned...maybe I am Don Quixote here. I
think a shop with 3D printers, and shopbots is a great thing. But if no
one knows how to use the welder, lathe, or mill (if you are even lucky
enough to have them) (nor why 4000 series Aluminum would be better than
6000 for that part, not to mention why to use 308 Stainless instead of
408!) By the way, this is the case at my school. We have machine tools and
welding equipment that no one knows how to use, and even though I am
teaching physical computing, I regularly hold breakout sessions during
class to teach silver soldering, metal forming, machining, woodworking,
MIG welding, sheet metal, how to combine a stepper motor with a 3D printed
part AND a machined part, etc etc. The students _*DEVOUR*_ it since no one
has ever shown them this stuff - they can not seem to get enough of it.
The desire is there, the need is there, but the high school shops are
gone, and so too are many of the teachers. The Crucible in Oakland (where
I was a faculty member for over 10 years), as well as Tech Shop have
helped fill the gap, but they are just two small sites, relatively
speaking.

So, yes, I do see some glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel, with
this amazing maker renaissance, and I hold out hope or our future. I guess
I'm just mad that I couldn't stem the tide that lead up to the stuff I am
complaining about. Maybe that's all it is in the end.

ctp

> [...]
>>> jokes."
>>>
>>> I will say, though, for people who want to be reassured, that it
>>> doesn't take a long time to remedy a whole lifetime of not tinkering
>>> with things. As a specific example, when they do engineering education
>>> studies with women who enter college without a lot of "making"
>>> experience, they find that they indeed lack the mechanical intuition of
>>> their male counterparts; however, within half an hour of a tinkering
>>> activity, there is no notably measurable difference in performance or
>>> intuition. Which is to say, if you just take the time to point out to
>>> someone where they need to hold the hammer, or which way they need to
>>> turn the screwdriver, and WHY, then they'll know, and they're unlikely
>>> to forget. Of course part of you wonders how people got this far in
>>> life without knowing these things, but I do think it's blowing things
>>> out of proportion to think this is holding humanity back.
>>>
>>> We all have our own blindspots... I, for example, am in my 30's and am
>>> still really unable to ask other people for money, which seems like a
>>> far more important skill than hammering...
>>>
>>> Wendy
>>>
>>> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 1:02 PM, Christopher T Palmer
>>> <ctp at ctpdesign.com> wrote:
>>> On the article about "why your teenager can't use a hammer" it's a
>>> subject that is very much on my mind and has been for a long time now.
>>> I'd like to get on my soapbox for a bit, and then ask for
>>> help/comments/feedback
>>>
>>> I have no idea if I was a normal kid of my times. I was born in 1967.
>>> My father was a machinist for the school of science at a California
>>> State University. I grew up in a making household, and was a maker from
>>> early on. I built kits of all sorts, then I started building airplane
>>> kits - the kind that are a box of sticks and a paper plan. Soon after
>>> that I ditched the kits and designed my own planes based on what I had
>>> already learned. Same with model rockets. Et cetera, et cetera. I got
>>> to high school in 1980 and we still had an auto shop, and metal shop,
>>> and wood shop. I took metal shop, and decided to build a steam engine.
>>> The teacher asked if I planned to use a kit, I said no. He asked if I
>>> planned to use commercial plans, I said no. I drew what I planned to
>>> make, and pretty quickly he knew to just turn me loose and let me run
>>> with it. After high school I started college, and along side my general
>>> ed, and major classes I took machine technology, and welding. I just
>>> figured that to be as well rounded as I could be I should continue
>>> academics AND maker skills training.
>>>
>>> Fast forward a few years, and I had started a career in high tech, but
>>> I was continuing to take welding classes at the local community
>>> college. I was taking them at the two colleges that still had programs,
>>> since several others had been shut down permanently. While waiting for
>>> class one night, about 50 people showed up at our school hoping to get
>>> in. The only other welding program nearby had been shut down,
>>> permanently. BTW - these departments were being shut down to make room