[Sketching14] Sketching in Hardware Update #1: Hotel, Dates/Times, Daycare, etc.

Mike Kuniavsky mikek at sketching-in-hardware.com
Sun May 25 14:19:52 PDT 2014

[OK, the same message as you got yesterday, but to a proper mailing list.
Please follow up to this list rather than the individual email addresses.
-mk]

Hi. I'm very grateful and excited that you've agreed to come to Sketching. The
following email is long. We know. Please read it, anyway. It has information in
it that is going to be useful to you and a several things that we would like to
know from you.

CONTENTS
- This mailing list
- Conference Hotel
- Conference Dates/Times
- Food preferences/restrictions
- Daycare
- Presentations
- T-shirts
- Bringing new technology?
- Contact information
- Thanks

THIS MAILING LIST
This list has just the confirmed participants in the conference.

Based on past years' experience, expect a handful of updates before the
conference. You should also feel free to the list, once it's set up, to
coordinate transportation, hotel sharing or other activities, but please use it
sparingly. As soon a the conference is over, I will roll the membership of this
list into the general Sketching alumni list and this list will go away.

CONFERENCE HOTEL
The conference hotel is:

Upstalsboom Hotel Friedrichshain
Gubener Straße 42
10243 Berlin
upstalsboom.de/hotel-friedrichshain
info.berlin at upstalsboom.de

The special rate is 75 Euro/night for a single or 80 Euro for a double, which
we think will match or beat the rate of most other hotels at the time. We have
30 rooms reserved, and after that you're on your own.

To get the special Sketching in Hardware rate the discount code is "sketch".

CONFERENCE DATES/TIMES
Our tentative schedule will be:
Thursday, July 24: totally optional pre-event dinner. Location TBD.

Friday, July 25:
Breakfast: 8:30-9:30
Introduction: 9:30-10
Presentations: 10-5PM (with lunch served 12:30-2)
Dinner: 7PM (included in your conference fee, location TBD)

Saturday, July 26:
Breakfast: 8:30-9AM
Presentations: 9AM-1PM
Lunch: 1-3PM
Perhaps more presentations or another activity: 3-5PM
Dinner: 7PM (included in your conference fee, location TBD)

Sunday, July 27:
Breakfast: 8:30-9:00AM
Presentations: 9AM-noon
Lunch: noon-2PM
Secret activities: 2PM-5PM
Conference ends 5PM
Post-event drinks immediately after (location TBD).

If you are planning to fly in first thing on Friday please try to be at the
event by 10AM. If you're leaving Sunday night, please try to hang out until 3PM
or so.

FOOD PREFERENCES/RESTRICTIONS/GUESTS
We will try to accommodate a variety of food preferences, and there will be
vegetarian options at all meals, but if you have additional food restrictions
(allergies, preferences, etc.) please let us know ASAP so we can let the
caterers and venues know.

If you would like to bring a guest to dinner, please let us know and we'll let
you know what the cost is (generally around $50, but it varies and we're still
in negotiations with the restaurants).

DAYCARE
Although we will not be formally offering daycare, we will be using it since
I'm bringing my two small children. The nice organizers of Thingscon, which
just happened in Berlin, have connected us with a daycare provider. If you
expect that you'll want or need daycare for your kids, let me know and we'll
arrange it for all of us.

PRESENTATION TOPICS
One of the unusual aspects of the Sketching conference is that everyone
presents (yes, that means you). I would like everyone to give an 18 minute
talk. The format is quite open and the content is up to you, but it should have
two qualities:

1. It should be about something that is exciting to you RIGHT NOW.
2. It should be 18 minutes long, and no longer. We are going to be very strict
about time limits.

If possible, we request that presentations should be on something that you
haven't talked about elsewhere, and you should try to address this year's
theme. If the thing you're really excited about doesn't fit the theme, though,
that's fine, too.

PLEASE minimize biographical information. If you'd like to present a
retrospective of your work to set the context, please keep it to 3 minutes, but
the bulk of your presentation should be about something new or something old
that's totally awesome. Think TED talk, not History Channel.

Likewise, please limit any video you show to 1 minute or less, unless it's so
awesome that it can't be contained in 1 minute. In that case you get 3 minutes.

Past presentations have been on everything from reviews of recent research, to
descriptions of specific projects, to demonstrations of new devices and
software, to describing the work students have done, to impassioned challenges
to the community.

Your audience will be technically sophisticated, but not necessarily engineers,
so please calibrate the technical content of your presentations accordingly.

If two people from the same organization want to team up and present a single
thing, that's fine and we will give you a little extra time, but please have
both people present.

Likewise, if you'd like to tap the brainpower of the group in the form of a
discussion question or panel discussion, send me your topic and I will try make
room on the schedule. Past discussion topics have included the challenges of
open source hardware and teaching physical computing.

IMPORTANT: please tell me what you're going to be talking about soon. Abstracts
are not necessary, but a title and a one- or two-sentence description of what
you're planning will help me plan the schedule.
Finally, tell me if you have preferences to speak in the morning or the
afternoon, and I'll try to accommodate.

T-SHIRTS
Please get us your shirt size. If you give us a size, we'll get you a shirt
that size. If you don't, we'll have to guess at your size, and there's a good
chance we'll be wrong, especially if we've never seen you in person. So please
send us your shirt size ASAP.

BRINGING NEW TECHNOLOGY?
Are you bringing things to show off? Please do! We want to see unannounced,
pre-release, half-baked, experimental, totally great stuff. If you're wondering
if it's ready, it is. Bring it.

CONTACT INFORMATION
Throughout the conference, if you have any questions, please feel free to email
me at mikek at sketching-in-hardware.com. If you need an urgent reply, my mobile
phone number is +1-415-235-3468.

THANKS
As mentioned above Justin Bakse and Greg Schomberg of Brand New School are
designing Sketching in Hardware's website and t-shirt. Their work is awesome,
as always. http://brandnewschool.com/

SUPER THANK YOU to Intel Labs and Microsoft Research Cambridge, our main
sponsors this year.

If you, your company or your organization is interested in sponsoring Sketching
this year, we still have several sponsorship opportunities available. Please
contact Mike at mikek at sketching-in-hardware.com and I'll let you know what we
have to offer.

--
Mike Kuniavsky