[Sketching14] Help with OSM api/ output sensor data

Stefania stefania at hackidemia.com
Wed Oct 15 03:30:22 PDT 2014

Hi Tom,

OSM stands for Open Street Map.

Thanks a lot for the examples, will check them out.

Pasting below an answer I got on a different thread

There's no way to store sensor data on OpenStreetMap, it can only
store raw map data. Streets, houses, etc. I think in the past some
people have updated tags of placemarkers on OSM based on sensor data
feeds, but it's not really accepted by the OSM community and you lose
all sense of history. Additionally it won't show up on any standard
OSM map.

There are other online platforms which are specifically designed to
publish sensor data feeds. In the olden days the best one used to be
Pachube, later renamed to Cosm, and now called Xively. However they
had a big relaunch a couple of years ago and I think also changed
their business model, so not sure if they're still usable.

Lots has happened since, I've heard of quite a few other platforms
launching since then, but I'm not well-informed any more about the
best options. In particular I'm not sure what ways there are to put
sensor data on a map.

From a quick Google search:
http://www.yoctopuce.com/EN/article/cosm-alternatives-to-record-sensor-measurements

Which suggests these services:
- ThingSpeak.com
- Open.Sen.se
- nimbits.com

The following discussion suggests that Xively still works fine, but
they now only provide limited visualisation options:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16623740/online-charting-with-xively-cosm-replacement

Although it may still be enough to put markers on a map, I haven't checked.

See also:
https://xively.com/
https://xively.com/dev/docs/api

Good luck!

m.
--
 Stefania Druga - Founder
 +49 176 829 114 43

HacKIDemia inspires the kids to imagine a better tomorrow and gives them the tools to build it!

Visit our web: www.hacKIDemia.com
Like our Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/HacKIDemia
Follow us on Twitter: @HacKidemia