[Sketching18] Sketching in Hardware 2018, Detroit, July 27-30 Update #5

Mike Kuniavsky mikek at sketching-in-hardware.com
Sun Jul 22 14:44:56 PDT 2018

We're almost there and we're very excited to see all of you! If you don't
have any of the previous updates, please let us know and we'll send them.

CONTENTS
  - The schedule is up: please review it!
  - Join the Slack! Use it organize breakfast meetups!
  - Email Leah your Science Fair tech needs
  - Charrette participation and theme
  - THANK YOU, PARTICLE, SUPPLYFRAME AND THE HENRY FORD!

THE SCHEDULE
The schedule for 2018 is up. You can find it here:

https://tinyurl.com/sketching18-schedule

It's editable, so please find yourself in it, make sure that we have the
title of your presentation correct, and change it if we don't.

Please let us know if:
  - You're not on it.
  - If you would like a different slot because of travel time or because
you know you're going to be too jetlagged to present at the time we've
scheduled you.

JOIN THE SLACK, USE IT TO COORDINATE!
Here's the link to the Sketching in Hardware Slack. Last year we had a
special one for just the event. This year we're experimenting with just
having a channel in the permanent Sketching Slack, so that alumni who
aren't at Sketching this year can follow along (and so everything is in
one place). Here's how to get into it:

https://tinyurl.com/sketching18-slack

Feel free to create other channels as appropriate, but don't go crazy and
preface them with "sketching18".

Also, since we're not providing breakfast at the event this year, we
encourage you to organize breakfast meetups using the Slack (or, you know,
just talking or whatever). Leah has put together a list of breakfast
venues near Sketching:

https://tinyurl.com/sketching18-breakfast

PLEASE EMAIL LEAH YOUR SCIENCE FAIR TECH NEEDS
On Sunday late afternoon we have arranged for 20 tables to be set up
science fair style in the Aloft. Please let Leah know what tech needs you
have beyond basic Wifi access and we will try to accommodate. We REALLY
want you to bring stuff to show and to show it. Leah's email is
leah.mckibbin at thingm.com.

CHARRETTE PARTICIPATION AND THEME
If you're planning to stay for the charrette, but haven't let us know,
please email Leah at the above email address!

Also, you can see the charrette theme and follow along as I write
charrette instructions this week in the charrette schedule:

https://tinyurl.com/sketching18-charrette

Also, if you're still wondering if you should stay for it, here's an
additional enticement: Marc Greuther, the chief curator of The Henry Ford
Museum, which is one of the largest collections of artifacts documenting
the history of innovation in America (20M+ and counting, as I remember)
will provide an introduction and answer questions at the beginning of the
charrette. Sketching and the Henry Ford have had an ongoing relationship
since the very first Sketching in Hardware in 2006, and Marc is a great
supporter of the goals, plus he's an amazing resource if you ever want to
know how basically anything was invented in the US, ever. Ask him about
the museum's light bulb collection!

THANK YOU PARTICLE, SUPPLYFRAME AND THE HENRY FORD
We are incredibly grateful to our sponsors, particle.io, Supplyframe and
the Henry Ford. Sketching always basically breaks even, and this year
we're squeaking by more tightly than past years. Without their generous
support we could not put this event on and we're so thankful they were
there for us this year. THANK YOU!

SEE YOU ALL VERY SOON!

--
Mike Kuniavsky