[Sketching18] Sketching in Hardware 2018, Detroit, July 27-30 Update #1

Mike Kuniavsky mikek at sketching-in-hardware.com
Sun Mar 4 13:26:52 PST 2018

Hi! We’re excitedly working on the logistics for this event, so the most
critical part of this email is that we’d like you spend 10 minutes
answering a survey that will help us organize the infrastructure for the
event.

CONTENTS
  - The event hotel is the Aloft
  - Please fill out our participant survey
  - Deadline for extended invitations: March 16
  - Thursday night gathering at OmniCorp Detroit

HOTEL UPDATE: THE ALOFT DETROIT
We have negotiated a $199/night rate at the Aloft Hotel, which is also
located in the David Whitney Building where we are holding the rest of the
event. We think this is going to be close to the best deal for a downtown
Detroit hotel at that time.

Here's more info on the Aloft: http://www.aloftdetroit.com/

We will send out a link to reserve rooms as soon as we can. Please reserve
your room as early as possible. We’re reserving a block of rooms and we're
financially responsible for unreserved rooms, so the sooner we know how
many rooms have been taken the sooner we know how close we are to making
our contractual obligation to the Aloft.

Also FYI: Detroit’s city government accidentally (true, but ?!) banned
AirBNB last month--they have since backpedaled on that decision, so
AirBNBs should be available, but be aware. We’re monitoring the situation
and will let you know if AirBNB is banned again. More info:
https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2018/02/09/detroit-airbnb-ban/322991002/

PLEASE FILL OUT OUR PARTICIPANT SURVEY
To help us plan the logistics of the event, we need to know some things
from you. Follow this link:

https://goo.gl/forms/ZcABfYXCjKpHtprE3

In the survey we will ask you, among other things:
  - Your plans for staying in Detroit, so we know how many rooms to reserve
at the Aloft.
  - If you need our free onsite childcare.
  - If you have dietary preferences or restrictions.
  - What size shirt you wear.

It should take us about 10 minutes to fill out and it will help us a lot.
Thank you.

EXTENDING INVITATIONS: DEADLINE MARCH 16
If you meant to extend an invitation to someone who you think should
absolutely be at Sketching, but didn't get to it yet, here's your last
chance. I'm extending the opportunity for you to invite all invite TWO
other people to Sketching. You can point them to the following (admittedly
old school minimal) event description page:

http://sketching-in-hardware.com/2018/

Please ask them mention your name when they RSVP and ask them to reply by
March 16. After that the event will be entirely invitation-only.

THURSDAY NIGHT AT OMNICORP
OmniCorp Detroit, a local hackerspace located near Detroit’s historic
Eastern Market, has generously offered to host our pre-event festivities.
They're one of the cornerstones of the maker movement in Detroit and

https://omnicorpdetroit.com/blog/about-ocd/

--
Mike Kuniavsky
mikek at sketching-in-hardware.com