[Sketching18] Sketching in Hardware 2018, Detroit, July 27-30 Update #3

Mike Kuniavsky mikek at sketching-in-hardware.com
Fri May 11 16:49:57 PDT 2018

Hi! This is the third update sent to the participants of this years'
Sketching in Hardware summit. If you don't have either of the previous
ones, please let me know and I'll forward them.

CONTENTS
  - Please book the hotel ASAP
  - Registration payment details
  - One last participant survey reminder
  - Presentation guidelines
  - THANK YOU, PARTICLE!

PLEASE BOOK THE HOTEL ASAP
Sketching is in The David Whitney Building this year, which also happens
to house the Aloft Detroit hotel. We negotiated an excellent $199/night
rate with them. Please book using this link as soon as you know you’re
confirmed to come to Sketching (you can of course cancel later):

https://www.starwoodmeeting.com/Book/Sketching

The special rate expires June 25. After that hotel rooms are likely to be
twice as expensive.

REGISTRATION PAYMENT DETAILS
Sketching will be $850 this year. This covers all event expenses, walking
tours of Detroit, lunch every day, and dinner on Friday, Saturday and
Monday.

If you did not put down a down payment, here is a PayPal link:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=24653WFH8L454

If you DID put down a deposit, please use this link:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=J4KBYC44DZRG8

If you are a student, educator, startup founder, artist, or otherwise
financially pressured, please let us know and we figure out a discount
that works for you.

Thanks to the generosity of Particle (particle.io) we are now able to
fully sponsor several people's entire registration. THANK YOU DAVID
SCHELTEMA and PARTICLE!

A (FINAL) REMINDER TO FILL OUT OUR PARTICIPANT SURVEY
If you haven't already, please fill out our short participant survey. It's
proven to be very useful for when we're planning logistics:

https://goo.gl/forms/ZcABfYXCjKpHtprE3

PRESENTATION GUIDELINES
In the last update I mentioned that we're looking for folks who would
prefer to participate on panel, discussion or interview. We're still
looking for folks who are interested in doing those kinds of things, but
here are solo presentation guidelines for everyone else:

  - The format is quite open and the content is up to you.
  - The two most important qualities in the presentation should be that you
talk about something that is exciting to you and, if possible, something
that you haven't talked about elsewhere.
  - If you would like to team up with someone and present together, that is
totally fine, too.
  - It should be 18 minutes long, and no longer. We are going to be very
strict about time limits because the schedule is so packed.
  - Please minimize biographical information. If you'd like to present a
retrospective of your work to set the context, please keep it to 3
minutes, but the bulk of your presentation should be about something new
or something old that's totally awesome.
  - Please limit any video you show to 1 minute or less, unless it's so
awesome that it can't be contained in 1 minute. In that case you can play
it for 3 minutes.

Your audience will be technically sophisticated, but not necessarily
engineers, so please calibrate the technical content of your presentations
accordingly.

THANK YOU, PARTICLE!
As mentioned above, Particle has generously offered to sponsor the
participation of several people who otherwise wouldn't be able to afford
to come to Sketching. THANK YOU.

We're still looking for sponsors for food (we have 7 meals to choose
from!), tours of Detroit, and prototyping supplies for the charrette. If
your organization would be interested in sponsoring Sketching in exchange
for our gratitude and mention in all our materials, please email me.

Thank you!

--
Mike Kuniavsky
mikek at sketching-in-hardware.com