[Sketching20] Sketching in Hardware 2020 August Update

Mike Kuniavsky mikek at sketching-in-hardware.com
Mon Aug 24 22:10:23 PDT 2020

Hi! You're getting this because you confirmed that you're attending
Sketching in Hardware 2020, September 25-27. Welcome!

After 14 years of intense in-person events we are excited for this
first-ever remote Sketching in Hardware. We're also a little scared. Going
remote meant we had to step away from many of the things we considered
core to Sketching. But there is no better year to try new things.

We will send a series of these updates until the event. Each has important
information in it. Please take a few minutes to read them.

CONTENTS
- Participant questionnaire! It's important!
- Presentation guidelines
- Participant list (so far)

PARTICIPANT QUESTIONNAIRE
To help us plan the logistics of the event we need to know some things
from you. We have a short survey we’d like you to fill out:

https://forms.gle/XngsWkksYnpCGEKD6

PRESENTATION GUIDELINES
The primary goal of Sketching in Hardware is to create a community that
extends beyond the dates of the event. Everyone presents so by the end of
the event everyone knows something about everyone else.

At the end of the questionnaire above I have some questions about whether
you'd be interested in presenting with others or participating on a panel.
However, I assume most people will be presenting on their own, so I'm
sharing the general presentation guidelines with everyone.

The tl;dr summary:
Time: 18 minutes
Topic: something you're incredibly excited about RIGHT NOW, ideally having
to do with digital hardware toolkits

The somewhat longer version:

  - The format is quite open and the content is up to you.
  - The two most important qualities in the presentation should
be that you talk about something that is exciting to you and, if possible,
something that you haven't talked about elsewhere.
  - Absolutely talk about WHAT and HOW, but also please talk about WHY. Why
this? Why now? Why you?
  - Your presentation should be 18 minutes long, and no longer. We are
going to be strict about time limits because the schedule is packed.
  - There should be, but doesn't have to be, some aspect that touches on
digital hardware, the making of tools, teaching with tools, or using
tools.
  - If you want to team up with someone and present together, great! We can
give you a little extra time to present together.
  - Please minimize biographical information. If you'd like to present a
retrospective of your work to set the context, keep it to 3 minutes. The
bulk of your presentation should be about something new or something old
that's totally awesome.
  - Please limit any video you show to 1 minute or less, unless the key
idea can't be contained in 1 minute. In that case you can play it for 3
minutes.
  - Please contact me if you have any questions about what a good topic
would be. I'll be happy to jump on a call or bounce ideas in email.

Your audience will be technically sophisticated, but not necessarily
engineers, so please calibrate the technical content of your presentations
accordingly.

You don't need to provide an abstract, but please give me a tentative
title and a short description. Since we don't publish any guides, what you
talk about will be flexible until the minute you start your presentation,
but it really helps me to have some idea of what you're planning as I
create the schedule.

SKETCHING 2020 PARTICIPANT LIST
Kevin Anderson
Justin Bakse