[brcs-announce] We did it!

Norman R. Fred nrfred at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 6 00:07:18 PDT 2010

Hi everyone,

Yesterday was terrific.

Everyone had fun
and no one got hurt.  That's the best and most important thing.  There
were many new faces and many familiar ones, too.

The weather
cooperated nicely, too.  It was a perfect day for the cleanup.  Not hot, not cold, not raining and not windy.  Doesn't get better than that.

There were some minor mixups but it was still the best BRCS ever.

The
cleanup yielded a surprising amount of trash and much of it was recycled thanks to the suggestions of Rachel Goodman who sorted most of it and
Steve Somers who obtained American Waste containers to do it right.
It's rare when someone makes a suggestion and steps up to fulfill it, I
have to take note of that.

Frank Lahde not only was a shuttle driver for the BRCS but wrote and got published a nice article for us this year.

Without being asked to, Bill Hyslop drew the design for the T-shirt and helped
get it produced.

Jocelyn Trepte helped with many things along the way.  Jocelyn was my rational voice in the wilderness when things got
hectic.

Steve Largent was the consultant and contact person for
the GTCD which donated time, planning, printing services, storage space, vehicles, personnel, and the Olesen Pavilion with real bathrooms and
drinking water for the picnic.  Thanks Steve!

Boone Scharp and
the 4-H people went out of their way to be helpful.  Bringing your own canoes
in that giant trailer is just wonderful.  It relieves us of a huge
burden.  All the section leaders complimented the kids' work and
commented on their paddling skills, helpfulness, courtesy and good manners.  You guys
rock!

The organization went pretty well,  if I do say so myself.  I have some
ideas to speed up the morning "send off" but it went relatively
quickly.  Thanks to those who helped me get it done.

The picnic
went well and having hot and fresh food was a treat, thanks to Patti
Somers and her crew.  The picnic used recycled materials where possible
and we used the minimum of consumable plastic and metal containers thus
reducing our footprint thanks to the planning of the Somers.  All the
unused food was donated to the Goodwill Inn.  Nothing was wasted.

The raffle netted almost 2000.00 which is pretty good for 2.00 tickets.  It wasn't our best showing but still one to be proud of.

All the
cameras worked.  Not all the pictures are usable.

If you have
pictures in your personal cameras, please send me your full resolution
pictures for the website. Send them on a disk if you can but in an email is ok.  Full sized images.

NR Fred - 10422 Peninsula Dr. - TVC,
MI 49686

I have several pictures but I know you have some that
will be better than the ones I have.  Don't put it off.  Do it now.  I
need a clean set of pictures soon.  Otherwise, I have to re-sort and
re-upload the pictures every time I get some.

Thanks to everyone
who worked yesterday and who worked behind the scenes to make the BRCS a continuing success.  I do appreciate your help and the river is a
gorgeous place today because of your efforts.

We all should be
very proud of our lovely treasure, the Boardman.

Norm