[brcs-announce] Large debris removal project

Norman R. Fred nrfred at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 12 21:28:29 PDT 2013

The BRCS has received a partial grant from Rotary Charities Good Works to remove the large pieces of construction lumber from the Boardman River downstream of the old BB Dam.

We will be working with Steve Largent of the GTCD to do this project.

Your paddling skills will be very useful to us.  This is not an afternoon float down the river.  We need people with expert paddling skills who are comfortable working next to logjams and in the sometimes strong currents of the Boardman.  You will get your hands dirty and your feet wet.

The project will be done in stages.

First, the pieces will be found, identified and marked with GPS and photo documentation.

Second, property owners will be contacted for permission to bring the pieces to their property for removal.

Third, a plan will be devised and the necessary equipment will be assembled.

Fourth, the actually work will be done.  This is where we need your help.  It may take most of one day and possibly some of a second day.  Your help during any portion of this time is needed.  There is money for reimbursement for fuel, food, etc.  If there are enough of us, this should not be difficult work.

Lastly, the pieces will be disposed of by American Waste.

Consider lending a hand when the time comes.  If you know anyone who might be interested, let me know.

PS.  I am asking Jocelyn to document the project with her photo skills.  No heavy lifting for her.

Norm