[brcs-announce] NMEAC Golden Beaver Award

Norman R. Fred nrfred at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 26 06:55:49 PDT 2014

I am very proud to announce that the BRCS has received the Northern Michigan Environmental Action Council's Environmentalist of the Year - Golden Beaver Award.

The award has my name on it but I feel it really belongs to all of you who have worked so hard and have been so loyal to the work we have done for so many years and on so many rivers.  You know who you are and there are lots of you.  You all have made me look really good!

I have been moved by your dedication and hard work without pay and without much public attention.

So, to all the dedicated volunteers of the BRCS I say - THANK YOU!

And also to the sponsors over the years who may not have been out on the river with dirty hands but who made it possible for us to have the equipment and supplies we needed to do this important work, I say a special thank you also.

Here is the nomination letter from my friends Tom and Bj Christensen.  I really liked the way Tom and Bj included many of the other organizations that have helped over the years and included links in some places.  Tom and Bj are special people. Tom has volunteered many times on many of our projects.  Bj is Solon Township's (Cedar) powerhouse that does so much for her community.

A couple of  pictures of the award will be added to the website when I get back from Florida.

*****************************
Award Recommendation:

Retired dentist Norm Fred has organized an annual cleanup of the Boardman River since 2004.  Usually held the first Saturday of June, this cleanup has removed large amounts of trash over the past nine years.

Norm has recruited many paddlers from the Traverse Area Paddle Club, Kingsley High School Outdoor Adventure Club, US Coast Guard Air Station Traverse City, and many of his friends to clean up the river they all love.  He has solicited many sponsors for a kayak raffle that helps in this cleanup.  He established a nonprofit 501-C3, Boardman River Clean Sweep to fund the Boardman River cleanups.

In the fall of 2012 the Boardman River was flooded during the dam removal project.  Norm sprang into action to see how his organization could help the river recover.  He paddled the cold and muddy river several  times that fall to identify areas of debris using GPS coordinates.

During the spring and summer of 2013 Norm and Boardman River Clean Sweep worked and collaborated with Grand Traverse Conservation District (Steve Largent), Michigan Department of Natural Resources, the dam removal company, Traverse Area Paddle Club and Boardman River home owners to remove and dispose of tons of debris.

He has also establish a fleet of kayaks, canoes, and trailers for use by GT Conservation District and BR Clean Sweep.  To learn more about Norm Fried and his work on the river, visit www.BRCleansweep.org, TAPC.clubexpress.com.  You can find his bio on the Trout Unlimited website under Adams Chapter Directors at  www.adamstu.org.

I believe Norm Fred is very deserving  and hope you will consider him for  this award.

Tom and BJ Christensen

Don't miss the 2014 BRCS event/picnic and Raffle - May 31st and June 7th respectively.

Raffle tickets are still available.

Norm