[brcs-announce] 2014 RiverSweep Update

Boardman River Clean Sweep Announcements brcs-announce at brcleansweep.org
Wed Aug 6 01:47:48 PDT 2014

Hi River Cleanup Folks,

Just to fill everyone in on the 5-6 RiverSweep Plans:

As you know, Ethan Winchester is standing down for this year and I am taking on the project.  I can't do what Ethan did so well last year but I can do something to help keep this great project going until he can get back.

All the events will start between 9:00am and 10:00am on Saturday, August 23rd.

The Pigeon is off the table this year due to high turbidity.

I have had three groups step forward to lead 3 of the remaining 5 rivers.

The Maple cleanup is being led by Greg Walz (Miller Van Winkle TU) from Petoskey.

The Bear is being led by Dan Myers from Petoskey.

The Sturgeon is being led me - Norm Fred (BRCS) from Traverse City.

That leaves the Boyne and the Jordan unattended.   So, we need someone to step up and lead those two cleanups.   If no one steps forward, we will skip those.  If anyone knows the people from the FOJ or a similar group on the Boyne, please call/email them and have them contact me.  I don't know any of those people.

I can help with contact information of liveries and paddlers in those areas.

Each leader is responsible for the signups, equipment and for the safety of the participants for his own trip.
Unless they have their own waivers, a standard WAIVER OF LIABILITY form will
be sent to the leaders for each participant to sign BEFORE the events.  Minors will have to have their parents or guardians sign for them.

There will be an after-party starting around 3:30 or 4:00 in Wolverine at the Thirsty Sturgeon Bar and Grill (formerly the Meadows Bar) at Scott Rd and the highway.  There will be a Nacho / Taco Buffet  (until the food runs out) and a CASH BAR.  Sorry, no free beer this year (this non-profit can't do that).

We have no sponsors this year, so tax deductible donations to the BRCS will be accepted to help the BRCS pay for the food.

Only those who work are welcome at the after party.  We'll come up with some mechanism to figure that out.

So, if you feel this is a worthy project and you would like to help out, contact me to lead the Jordan or Boyne river cleanups.

Or

Sign up to work at one of the three projects that are already scheduled.

I hope to see you on the river or, if you work on another project, at the party.

Norm Fred
Boardman River Clean Sweep

Boardman River Clean Sweep
10th Annual Boardman River Clean Sweep will be held Saturday May 31st, 2014 7th Annual National Cherry Festival-BRCS will be held Friday July 11th, 2014
View on www.brcleansweep... Preview by Yahoo

PS.  Sorry for the long email.

 Kristina" <ksherwood at boyne.com>